Tuesday, 18 July 2017
The cotton is a commercial sliver. When I first started spinning cotton, I had to card this sliver into punis before I could spin it. I realized half way through this bobbin, that I had started spinning from the sliver, with no thought about it. Really, it's all about practice, practice, practice..
I had a bit of an idea pop into my head and decided that I would weave up some inkle bands. My inkle loom is very pretty, and is beautifully hand crafted. Unfortunately, it has a little bit of an issue with the placement of the pegs, making for a very small shed. It made the whole project take much longer than I'd expected and it was frustrating at times. I used 4/8 cotton, so it should have been pretty nice to weave with, but it seemed like I was wrestling with the warp the whole length, and it wasn't horribly fun. However, I need to weave off another 6 or so lengths, so I'm going to have to figure something out to make this work better. I had suggested my sweetie might want to make me a new inkle loom, with some small adjustments to the pattern, but the roof needs reshingling first and apparently that comes before fibery activities. ;)
I did make this little narrow wares width guide for my next project. It's just a strip of plastic, folded in half. I used the plastic from a 10 litre water jug that I found in a recycling bin. I think a juice or milk jug, would be easier to work with. This was pretty tough cutting. It may still be too long as I put on both 2 inch and 2.5 inch markings.
My sweetie woke me up this morning at 6 am, to tell me that a chair had tipped over and there was a pile of green yarn on the floor. Sitting nearby was Kevin, just looking around as if nothing was wrong. While he normally isn't a playful kitty, when he does play, he goes all out. This was a freshly dyed skein of 4/8 cotton. While I can see some of the figure 8 ties, the rest of it is so tangled up that I'm not sure I'll be able to use it. And my husband wonders why I call Kevin the" Bad Kitty".
Monday, 10 July 2017
Who knew there was a rodeo circuit in our province, let alone what seems to be two different sets of events? Looking for a fairly close road trip, I did a bit of research and found a couple of localish rodeos which looked like they might be a good day out. This event was a charity fundraiser. We slapped on the sunscreen and our sunhats and we headed out. It turned out to be too windy for my hat to stay on my head, so I just kept putting on sunscreen. Except for the couple of places that I missed, it worked amazingly well -
This was a small event, so there were only a few classes. The saddle broncos had amazing muscles and were all powerfully built and gorgeous looking horses.
Just love the buckskin or dun coloured horses! So pretty.
Barrel racing was fun to watch. The juniors had a little boy on a tiny pony whose legs just went a mile a minute trying its best. So cute!
Intermission had an exhibition of moto-cross bikes doing tricks. The too young child just riding around after mom, with neither of them doing anything much, was sort of lame, but these guys, with their crazy tricks, in a gusty wind, were totally wild.
It was a bit surprising to see that the bulls didn't get far from the chutes. I'd expected them to have a bit more forward movement. Mainly it was up and down, and sometimes around in circles. They did show that 8 seconds is a very long time.
This is the only rider who made it the full 8 seconds on a bull really didn't want him on his back. Yay him!
Sooooo Much Fun!
Wednesday, 5 July 2017
This past winter I started some Dyer's Knotweed seeds much earlier than normal, in hopes of getting seed to set this year. Usually it blooms in September and there isn't time for the seed to set. The seed that I started in February germinated nicely. I transplanted it into large pots and again into planters, though the last one went into the garden. I noticed that it's starting to flower! Yay! However I decided to snip off the stems that weren't flowering in hopes of a) encouraging more growth and b) to see if there was viable pigment in the leaves.
I harvested 14 oz or just under 400 g of leaves, which I weighed once I'd stripped them from the stems. Although I don't think it's a necessity to do so, it takes less space in the container to cook the leaves without the stems. I stuffed them into a glass jar, set a trivet in the bottom of a large pot filled with warm water, and set the jar into that pot, making a double boiler. I cooked the leaves at 160° F for about 2 hours. As I was lifting out the jar, the bottom sheared off the jar, which was startling to say the least. Luckily, the entire mixture dumped into the large pot, saving an enormous mess. I would have added more water to the dye vat anyway, so it was all fine in the end.
I did have photos of the entire process, but some how I managed to lose them when I transferred them to the computer and deleted them from my camera. Normally I check to make sure they are where I want them before I hit the delete button, but for whatever reason, I convinced myself it was all good today.
At any rate, there was a reasonable amount of pigment. I don't know if I aerated the mixture long enough though, so it might have been a little more. I didn't weigh my fibres before I tossed them into the pot, as I was just playing around. There is Blue Faced Leicester, a Cashmere/Merino/Silk blend and both cotton sliver and spun cotton in there.