Pages

August 27, 2011

Fibre and Food

I totally understand why some weavers like to work with thick threads.   I've been waffling for weeks about what project to put on the loom.  There are a number of projects which I've got planned, but I hadn't queued them up.   This meant that the couple of rather emotional things which happened this summer, got in the way of me actually choosing a first project.  Finally I grabbed the easiest project of the lot.   I had picked up some Bamboo Silk blends from the Spinrite outlet a while ago.. maybe last fall?  Yeah, it's been a while.  There were only a couple of packages of it, 6 balls in each package, but they only had a beige colour.  I grabbed a package anyway, despite my rather unispired view of the colour.   (They had 6 balls of Angora/Bamboo blend too which I snagged).    I thought I might get around to dyeing it, but didn't.   The yarn is much thicker than I normally use.  I like weaving with finer yarns and worried about the thickness. 

When I just ignored my worries and worked out the details, I realized that I had about enough for 3 scarves, if I managed my sett properly.  The Fanny loom has a nice shed and I find that it tends to be far easier to do more picks per inch than I want.    My ancient Artisat is perpetually less picks per inch no matter what tension I have the warp or how hard I beat that darned thing. 

Broken Twill -Bamboo Silk Blend
In the end, I'm happy that I didn't dye the yarn.  The very neutral scarves mean they will go with anything and therefore suitable as gifts.  The bamboo silk blend is so soft that it's like weaving a hug.  Of course I've no idea how it will stand up to the wear of everyday use, not if it will even wet finish to something I'll like.   I really didn't have enough yarn to sample much.  I figured that at least I'm back weaving..
And the part about understanding why some weavers like to weave with thick yarns?  It took me a few minutes to wind the warp and a couple of hours more to thread the heddles, reed, wind on, balance the tension, wind the bobbins and start weaving.   My normal routine for tea towels, shawls and yardage often takes several days.

This afternoon I made a batch of Raspberry jam... the recipe was supposed to yield 8 cups.  I got only 5.5, but it's pretty awesome tasting raspberry jam.   I've more berries so will whip some more up later.   The jam really is that deep, dark ruby red colour!  It's beautiful.

  I was out grabbing a few forgotten groceries and found myself staring at a bag of whole wheat bread flour.    After all, with fresh raspberry jam, one really does need fresh bread!   I peeked at it while rising.  It's got a little bit more to go before I punch it down and shape it into loaves.




2 comments:

  1. Raspberry jam, yum! And I have to agree about that homemade whole wheat bread, LOL. I never seem to manage to get the full amount a jam recipes indicates either.

    The scarves will be great. As much as I love color, there is a time for neutrals, it's true. And I agree about those thicker threads. So much quicker to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten so sucked up in the rugs that I really do need to get back to real weaving. Soon. I'm sure I'll wake up to the siren call one morning. No lie - that happens.

    ReplyDelete