Pages

March 12, 2012

Snail like project speed.. or so it seems.

 It's been a quiet few days  which have felt amazingly unproductive.  I've spun more of the Woad or Dyer's Knotweed dyed fibre.  It's just another bobbin of blue, which is coming along slowly.  Slowly because I seem to have been spinning the blue yarn for a while.  It's nice yarn, but everytime I think I've about finished up the roving, I've found another bag of it.  This last lot was compacted a bit, more so from being crammed in  a ziplock bag than the dyeing process, I think.  It is slowing down the spinning process as I'm carding it all by hand.


The blue socks are done.  I found the  yarn on sale.  There was a bin with a bag of 3 different types of yarn, enough for 3 pairs of socks, on sale for the price of 1 skein of sock yarn.  While I was only after a skein of pink yarn or some Scheepjes Invicta as it's very nice to knit with, I couldn't avoid bringing home the pink, the Invicta and the bag of yarn on sale.    I thought this might have been one of those fake fair isle type colourways, but my sampling showed it was striped with a thick mottled stripe.  My sample was a 3/1 ribbing, so I just kept knitting.  There were a lot of knots in the second half of the skein, so I had a bunch of ends to stitch in.  Even if I'd tried to match these, it would't have happened because of the knots.  The colour is called "storm" - quite appropriate I think. 

The chooks are laying lots of eggs.  I think the mild winter was a factor in the girls only slowing down a bit for a couple of weeks.  They are right back at it though.    I realized that I've no idea what a standard egg size looks like anymore.  Since the old girls started laying last year, they produced these huge eggs and now my mind sees any egg smaller that that, as small!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean! I've been spinning rosewood/cardinal for ages - or so it seems. the air is out of it a bit - I think I have to interrupt with a different colourway, before I fall asleep at the wheel:( though the blue looks lovely!
    I could do with some of the large eggs - recently the usual ones I buy have become very small! I've had to add an extra one to my doughs! will we ever have our own "girls"?

    ReplyDelete