Thursday, 19 December 2013
Blanket number 3 is off the loom, joined and hemmed. I wet finished it in the washer like the others. However, I was a little looser in my picks per inch, so it got a few more minutes in the washer to allow it to full up a bit more than the others. This has made it a very soft and cuddly blanket. The red has a bit more brown in it than the photo shoes and the pink is really more blue, fuchsia rather than just pink. The colours work together quite nicely in real life. The 4th blanket warp is half wound off. I was going to shake things up and change up the pattern. Then I realized the date. There is no time to change the weave structure. That warp needs to be wound off, the loom dressed and ready to go by tomorrow morning, if I want any hope at all of getting blanket number 4 under the tree in time.
Yesterday I had the joy of going to the dentist. While I waited for the freezing to take hold, I started a new sock. When they had to go back in to freeze it a second time, I knit some more. By the 3rd attempt, I had a good start on my sock. The 4th shot worked, but it was in the wrong place for the place they needed to work on. So while my tooth didn't get any work done on it, my sock sure did.
Sock yarn is misfit Kroy from the bargain bin.
It's lighter weight than normal Kroy. It's a joy to work with and I sure wish all Kroy was this thin and nice to work with. Usually it's much too thick for my liking. Best yet, it was really, really on sale, for cheap!
The freezing was finally coming out of my lower jaw, when my dh mentioned that he wondered what he could give his guys at work for Christmas. Last year I wove scarves for him to give as presents. Then he added that they needed to be done by tonight. Yep, come up with handmade Christmas gifts in 24 hours. Finally he told me that he had thought perhaps Dryer Balls would be a good gift. Phew, I could do that. So last night I wound off 6 core balls and felted them. I hunted down a bunch of suitable rovings for the outer wraps. First thing this morning, I wrapped the 6 cores and put them through as wash and dry cycle. I did laundry as well as there is no use wasting the water or power use. I needed to make sure they were large enough and dry enough before wrapping. However they are about the size of tennis balls or a tad larger, so they are good to go. Right now they are in front of the woodstove, drying thoroughly. The bonus to all this is that absolutely all the laundry is washed!