Tuesday, 24 May 2016

Spring Things

 We have Orioles this year!   They are so pretty and colourful, with a nice little song.   Once we saw the first one, I started putting out oranges for them.  I tried apples too, but I think I just fed a raccoon with those.   

We also have a Rose Breasted Grosbeak, who apparently likes to eat oranges too.   I've never seen one of those before.  It was gone before I could grab the camera.



The robins have finally moved their nest.  They have built a nest in the light fixture beside the garage door for the past several years.  When the chicks finally fledge, they spend forever flying from nest to whatever vehicle is handy.  Back and forth they go, all day, leaving the car or truck with large white streaks.   Now they are in side yard.   I took this last week.  Today the nest is empty and the babes have fledged.   
 Last weekend I took a class on Pysanky.  I learned to do this as a child, using a somewhat different method.  Although still using the same materials and tools, this way was much easier.   While the lack of light, finishing the egg up in the evening, without a proper light source, shows on some of the missed spots, I am really pleased with how this egg turned out.  There are virtually no blobs an icky bits.  The class was really well done and the participants were a great group of people.  I had much fun.





I was away for the weekend.   I checked my garden on Friday, before I left and the Madder plants were  all back, about 2 inches high. I came home Monday afternoon and the Madder was at least 12 inches tall.  This particular plant was taller.  Absolutely unexpected and crazy growth.  The Madder patch has finally started spreading.  I will dig a bit out of it this year and then hopefully, the rest will fill in the gaps.


2 comments:

Tegan said...

How'd you do the pysanky? The way I was taught involved a weird little crucible that you'd heat up, and scoop beeswax with. It was finicky and not-user friendly, especially cause the "spigot" part of it (where your melted beeswax leaves the crucible) was the thickness of a pencil line. So it made coloring in large sections absolutely beastly.

I'd love to do it again if there was an easier way!

Nina said...

Well, since I was first taught to dip that little crucible or the cone of the kistka into hot wax, which blobs when you use it, the method of heating the kistka and then dipping into the wax was much more user friendly. You can get kistkas in different widths and the fatter ones cover large areas more easily. Or you can just use a fine paintbrush dipped in melted wax, but sometimes that is even harder to get smoothly to the edges.
I guess user friendly and easier is different for each person. I found this method extremely easy.