Sometimes though I get a bit overwhelmed with what to do next. There are way too many choices and which one do I do next? So I ran across the warp chains for this project and realized that getting it out of the way would be a good thing. Plus of course, winter at Westfield does need winter outerwear. While the costume department is well stocked, having my own is always a nice thing.
The yarn is 100% wool. It is carpet mill ends from a now out of business high end rug manufacturer. It is amazingly soft. They called it a 4 ply crepe yarn, but after looking at it, it is a 4 ply chained yarn. I've no idea if it is crepe or not, but it is definitely a chained yarn - not chained as in Navajo/chain plying though.
I wasn't sure of the yardage as we bought it by the pound and I have a fair bit of it, 2 cones of the white and one each of the brown and blue. This meant I had to make an educated guess at how long a warp to make and if I could actually get the project I wanted out of it. I ended up with a 9.5 yard warp which was 26 inches wide in the loom - sett of 10. The yarn wpi was 14, 15 if I pushed them close together, so a sett of 10 should work for a twill. I did a quick test swatch back when I was planning this and it looked okay.
I was lucky that I wrote down the numbers of threads in the colour order on my project notes. What I didn't write down is that when winding the first 2 chains, I changed the number of white threads in the large section. So instead of 30 threads, it was 32. This meant that as I was threading the loom, I had to run back to my warping board and wind off 6 more threads, plus 2 for floating selvedges. What a pain that was. None the less, it went on the loom perfectly. I wound off the remaining 2/3 of the warp, sleyed the reed, threaded the heddles and wound it on on a single day, with the help of a lot of Star Trek - the original series. That evening I wove the first 14 inches :)
Now I'm looking for the sacque coat pattern. I know that I have a copy someplace. I remember tracing it off. I remember folding it up and putting it in a plastic ziplock bag. I remember putting it away. It isn't anywhere I can find. It sure isn't where I thought I'd put it. It isn't with the rest of my historical patterns - in 3 different bins no less, nor is it with my fabric or even my weaving supplies. At least I have a bit of time - or I can just make a cloak with the yardage. However, I do have the yarn already set aside for the actual cloak project....
I'm taking my time weaving this off. It requires counting threads as well as treadles. Luckily with a plain twill, my feet can pretty much go without actual counting.