Friday, 13 January 2017

Cotton and Ward Loom

On the spinning wheel is more cotton.   All of it is naturally coloured, commercially prepared sliver.   I'm not sure how much sliver I have left, but I'm pretty sure that I'm spinning up the last bit of the sliver.  That means the rest of the cotton needs to be carded and rolled into punis before I can spin it.   This means I may take a bit of a break from the cotton, because I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of time carding right now.


The new loom is an overhead jack loom made by Ward.   It needed a little bit of work to get it up and running.  I was lucky in that a N.A. rep from Glimakra gave me the pertinent information I needed to understand how this loom worked, otherwise, I would have struggled for a bit before I figured it all out.  (Glimakra has pretty awesome looms!)

The Ward is a really sturdy loom but it uses texsolve heddles, although I have the bit of equipment for making string heddles, which were likely the original ones.  I'm not sure how I like the texsolve yet, but they are quiet, for sure.  There is absolutely nothing on this loom which makes noise.  It is super quiet. It is also made for people just a tad taller than I am.  I'm not sure how to deal with this yet.   I'm thinking maybe a rocking loom bench would help, mainly because I've found myself rocking forward on my current loom bench - tall loom, short legs - not really the best combination.

This is my test bit to see if I had my tension working.  This wove off so quickly and so nicely.  The yarn is wool from the rug company which went out of business.  It makes fairly soft blankets.   A gal at our guild suggested a sett of 8.   I found it a bit loose, so when I made blankets a couple of years ago, I used a sett of 9 and it was perfect.   However, I only have a 6 dent reed and for some reason, the sett chart I checked, gave me a threading for 8 epi, in the 9 epi column.  Instead, I went for 10, which in hindsight was too much.  It is a very sturdy sample.   

I've only sett up 4 of the 8 shafts right now.  I thought  it might be easier to get 4 up and running first and then just adjust the tension of the last 4 shafts to match.

I had the warp wound for the gamp project for the design class.   I wound it for the Fanny loom, which I dress from front to back.  Unfortunately the Ward has to be dress from back to front, which created no end of issues in dressing the loom.  Argh, if I could have afforded the extra string, I would have trashed the first warp and rewound it.  However, instead I just pushed through all the stupid stuff and got the thing on the loom.  There is a threading error, which I have checked and checked.   From what I can tell, it's actually threaded correctly and there are no crossed threads.  I've been totally stymied trying to figure it out.  Eventually I said to hell with it and started weaving.   I'm not thrilled enough with this project to spend anymore time crawling under the loom figuring out which thread is doing something stupid.  There is supposed to be a red band between each section, but I've misplaced or used up the last little bit of red, so I'm using the end of bobbins that I had  leftover from other projects. Unfortunately, the light brown doesn't have enough contrast to actually be very visible. 


1 comment:

Sharon said...

I cannot imagine conditioning and setting up a new-to-me loom. I just don't have the knowledge or patience for something like that. I've fantasized about my dream loom over the years but I have come to a point of contentment with the Gilmores I already have. My stainless steel heddles are heavy and loud but they're a snap to thread. I've tried Texsolv a couple of times and it's not my cup of tea. - hard for me to see. Congratulations on your loom - sounds like you've got a new friend there :)