The past few days have been busy. I've played in the garden. I was so excited that the pumpkins had germinated that apparently when I was on the phone with my daughter, I yelled. Since nothing grew in that area last summer, mainly weather issues, it was great to see the pumpkins growing this year. I had to put a lot of sticks in the area to keep the chickens from sunbathing in the pumpkin patch.
I have finally started putting the multi coloured dyed rug warp on the loom. I know it was a rescued warp - a whole lot of threads removed from a guild project that wasn't working out as planned. The threads were removed, a cross put in them and it was chained. The cross wasn't actually a true cross. The cross keeps the threads in order. Without it, there are a lot of randomly bunched and messed up areas. I did finally undo the chain and add choke ties. What is messing me up right now is that not all of the threads were caught up in the cross, so there are loose threads periodically. Those just get tangled up. There was a large handful of really short bits that I found by accident and luckily didn't try to thread those, plus I caught them before I started winding on the warp. I'm having to comb out parts of the rest as I wind it on to ease out the tangles. It's not my favourite way to put on a warp, but it's a rescue warp, so I'm happy to get it used. Plus, look at those awesome colours! Pain in the patootie to dress the loom aside, the colours are fun to work with.
I did a lot of hours volunteering this week. I went into a grade 4 classroom and answered a lot of questions about the Middle Ages. The teacher sent me a list of questions. I dug around and found Illuminations which illustrated the answers and did the research for the rest. In all, the questions were really interesting and thought out. The follow up questions from the kids in class, were also thoughtful and good. The kids were amazingly well behaved and I enjoyed it very much.
In the grade 3 class, I did some fibre activities for the pioneer theme. Sadly, my hand cards were damaged by the rougher kids. I really like my handcards. These ones have a gentle curve and the carding cloth works with a lot of different fibres. I'm hoping they can be glued and clamped back together. It isn't in the budget right now to replace them.
Garden update: The birds ate all my bean plant seedlings.... talk about unhappy! Well the birds are happy. I have little leafless stems sticking up from the ground, which doesn't make me happy. They ate every single one of them!