|4 hours of soaking without heat - unintentionally|
So, I started the first batch by picking a whole lot of mohair locks. I laid them out in the pan with about 3 litres of water and a half a cup of vinegar. You can use vinegar or citric acid - both work just fine. Vinegar is cheap and available locally. I have to order citric acid in. It's more expensive, but you use less. Generally though it's the shipping which is over the top.
|mohair locks after heating and drying.|
It took ages and an addition of extra vinegar to get the dye to exhaust. I'd obviously added too much. In the end, there was little yellow or blue but just a jumble of different greens. Pretty for sure, but not what I'd hoped for. At least with the power outage, it wasn't a complete failure.
I used one of the bags of level 6 project fleece and tried again. This time there was no power failure. The colours held quite well and I was happy enough with the final colours of the locks. I'm worried that the locks spun together might make a muddy coloured yarn, but as locks used for novelty yarns, or adding to white they could be quite stunning.
It's lots of fun though. These were both acid dyes on protein fibre locks.