Pages

September 18, 2018

End of Summer Colours

 Fall crocuses.  They are beautiful.   If I could get all the goldenrod out of the front flower beds, I'd divide up the 2 patches to make a bigger impact with that lovely pale pinky colour.
 Our property is surrounded by grazing meadows.  The horses only eat the grass.  The tall weeds take over and the farmer only seems to mow them down every couple of years.  Keeping the goldenrod under control is almost defeating.   They grow deep, huge roots that I can't get out, without help.   They are pretty, but overwhelming for sure.
I found these little pumpkins in the pumpkin raised bed.   After all the effort I put into controlling the mildew, I'd though there was no fruit for all that work.  However, there are 3 pumkins, albeit small ones.  They seem to be even smaller than pie pumpkins.  Next year, I'll order some hybrid seeds and plant a mildew resistant variety.  With the increase in hot, muggy weather, it will hopefully make a difference.  Maybe I'll just plant buttercup squash or something else though.   I've gotten complaints from the management that the pumpkin harvest isn't worth the effort I've been putting in.  When pie pumpkins go on sale in the fall, I can see his reasoning though -  more frozen pumpkin bang for the buck - literally last year as pie pumpkins were .99c a piece!

Plum jam - 8 jars
Tomatoes canned - 1 bushel - 45 jars
Corn frozen- 4 doz cobs, kernels cut off the cobs and frozen
320 yards plied of BFL


Dion, napping in a cat play tunnel, looking horribly cute.
 
The geese are migrating and many of them fly overhead.  Their voices are a sad sound this time of year, as it means summer is truly at an end.


1 comment:

  1. but at least you have some pumpkins! I've given up on them, I never get any, no matter where I plant them, how much I water etc.. I did manage a few courgettes in the tunnel, but for some reason squash, courgettes and pumpkins don't like it here, inside or out:( cucumbers on the other hand grow well in the polytunnel! but I mustn't grumble! storm Ali not only brought a hole in the slated shed roof (small, but still, very annoying:() - it also brought down our very first walnuts! at first I only found 4, but after crawling around an all fours (well, nearly:)I managed to find 28 altogether! yay, my very first walnut hull dyebath is in the jar! my hands look very pretty - if you like blotchy brown-black stains on them:)
    and I still want to make some sort of tube for Pringles to snuggle into - if I only used a metal ring as "entrance" it should be nice and comfy - and safe from behind:)
    I wish I had your goldenrod invasion, at least I could dye with it. instead I have a self-inflicted invasion of sweet cicely everywhere:( with roots as hard as iron it's become nearly impossible to get rid of! amd evem though the green seeds taste like liquorice (or aniseed?) - there's only so much you can chew on! I should never have started it by seed, but now it seems to be too late....

    ReplyDelete