Pages

November 09, 2018

Catching up with chores.

 The other day we finally got hit with frost.    Just a light frost, but enough to finish off the 2 remaining tomato plants and one of the lettuce plants.  There is still Swiss chard, some lettuce and a couple of turnips in in the beds.

My friend Shannon gave me a bunch of garlic, which I planted in to the garden.   Then I found that the feed store had some seed garlic in stock, so I bought 4 heads just to have a bit extra.

The forecast said it would snow today, so I wanted to make sure all the garlic was planted before then, so yesterday was a garden day.  The garlic was all planted and most of the beds have been cleared.   Then I realised there were a few more potatoes to dig up, so I got those done as well.   I haven't purchased potatoes since the beginning of August, except for last week as they were $1 for 10 lbs.   I ended up with almost 5 lbs of potatoes from the last few plants.   They aren't huge but they are big enough.  The weather was such that I'm super happy with the harvest.

Grey ramie is on the wheel.    There is only 50 g of it.  I started spinning it the other day.  It's done now and I have to figure out what to do with the singles.   I should have divided the fibre into equal halves before I started spinning.  I tried to with just a few grams spun but the weighing got weird, and either this packed was grossly underweight or something was wrong with my scale.  Instead I just went on a spinning marathon, and while I don't normally watch TV, due to being spooked last night, because of marauding raccoons, while I was alone, I actually did watch a show or 2.  It was a good way to keep from hearing them rustling and banging outside.

Today, almost all day, it has been snowing.  Enough said about that!

1 comment:

  1. we've had only one slightly frosty night so far - just enough to make the potato leaves die off. but not enough to freeze the soil, so I left them in for now... it's often wet, also windy - but not all that cold, certainly no snow in sight for us - yet! I don't mind, I prefer to have snow only during holidays:)
    the ramie looks interesting, did you dye it yourself? I've only ever dyed it after spinning. the top spins up so smoothly that I am worried I might mess it up during dyeing! one day I will weave a scarf out of my handspun, because it's so smooth and lustrous....

    ReplyDelete