Pages

January 15, 2022

New Hooked Rug

 

This is most of the yarn that I've spun for the guild group rug hooking project.  I'm not sure I have enough of some of the colours though as my rug will be 16 x 16 inches square.  If I had to spin it again, I'd spin slightly thinner yarns just to see if that added smoother edges and more definition to the shapes.

The first rug I hooked on my own, I used handspun yarn, but the shapes were quite simple and large.   This rug has somewhat more detail and definitely smaller shapes.   What I'm learning is that the definition in the shapes from fabric strips doesn't really happen with the thicker yarn at any rate.   The edges of the shapes are quite soft and fluid.


You can see here, the edges of the flowers are far softer and much less defined.   I tried using the same green for the leaves as I'd used for the stems.   It doesn't work for me, so I will need to spin something a little less varigated and probably a lighter and maybe brighter green for the leaves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment