Pages

March 16, 2023

Transferware - reproduction and original

 A week and a half ago I had a morning appointment.  Hubby took the day off, so we made a day of it.  He suggested going to browse at an antique mall.   The one he suggested was in the same city as my appointment.  When we drove by it though, it had moved into a swanky, glittery new building.   We both looked at each other and said nope.  Instead we drove home, ate our picnic in the park watching the geese and ducks on the mostly frozen waterway.   Then we headed to a local antique mall, in an old factory building. 

  I was being very good.  I ignored the oil lamps, although there were a couple which caught my eye.  I ignored the old sewing machines, but that wasn't difficult as there was only one and it was way over priced.   Instead I was after transfer ware.  Reproduction transfer ware to be exact.  I wanted some crockery to display my historic recipe experiments more appropriately.   There were a lot of blue willow pattern dishes out there, nicely made and definitely newer.  The bonus is that they weren't horribly expensive.  While I love blue and white ware,  and I like the pattern, there are other colours of the willow pattern that I like even more.  This pattern also came in green, brown, pink and red, although the pink and red may just be the same colour.  I found one solitary red bowl.   I also picked up 2 pieces of transferware from the 1930's, a purple Johnsons Brothers plate which was $2, and a blue transferware serving plate by Masons, which was $12, a bit more than I'd normally pay for a plate, but I was taken by it's shape and charm.

I also found a blue pyrex pie plate.   I'd seen one in the autumn when we'd done a quick pass through the antique mall, priced at $20, but passed it by.   When I got  home I'd regretted not purchasing it.   Way back when, I picked up a green glass pie plate.  It was more than I'd pay for one, and money was tight, but I love coloured glass, so I splurged.  I used it extensively, still do in fact.   A few years later they came out with a red glass pie plate, which I wanted to buy but couldn't justify the expense at the time.  Then the cobalt blue one came out.  I so much wanted to buy it, but again, the original glass pie plate was still in great condition and I couldn't justify buying it.   But while we were out browsing that day, there was another cobalt one which had been reduced from $32, to $20, so I grabbed it.   I'm still happy about it.  It's so pretty.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun day. I've only seen the pink willow besides the blue, so I was interested that it came in other colors. I'm still partial to the blue! My mom and stepmom both helped me collect a lot of pieces for my collection over the years.

    The blue pie plate is lovely. Good find! I know what you mean about debating over a buying decision, deciding no because it seemed prudent at the time, and then regretting it later. I'm glad you found one!

    ReplyDelete