Pages

October 04, 2024

End of Summer Activities

 It's getting dark so early now.  The chooks are headed back to the coop by 6:45pm and it's getting dark so quickly afterwards that I rarely have time to get a bit of walking in.  During the summer I tend to walk in the evenings, as it's still plenty light out and the temperatures are starting to cool down.  Now though, it's too dark about 10 or 15 minutes after I lock up the girls.  I've gotten into the habit of downloading a trashy audio book from the library and listening to it while I walk.  I've discovered that most modern regency romances are really silly and worth a few chuckles while I'm out walking.


Other than that, I demonstrated Dorset buttons and spinning for 2 days at the local fair.   The buttons on the Saturday and spinning on the Sunday with a couple of weavers.   The weather was perfect and didn't start to turn until after the fair had closed on Sunday.   I got to eat my lunch, sitting on a straw bale, listening to 2 different bands.  One was quite good, who played modern country music.  The steel guitar player was good and the music was nicely amped so you could actually hear it.   I fell in love with the steel guitar  at that moment.  I messaged hubby that maybe one should be added to our instrument collection, but apparently it's priced in line with the Hurdy Gurdy I'd like to have as well. That means it's well out of our price range.   

The other musician was a John Denver impersonator.   He does a great job and this year he costumed up before he hit the stage, which made it perfect.  Last year he was on stage without his wig, and without a full costume, so the look didn't match the music.   If you closed your eyes though, it was almost right...  I got to eat my lunch, listening to good music, with a really nice antique tractor on display.  What's not to like about that?

The Dorset Button display went really well and lots of people stopped by to ask about them.  Last year not a single person talked to be about spinning as they were all interested in the weavers.  This year it was the opposite.  You just can tell what people will be interested any particular year.

A friend asked me for some heritage recipe help for a friend of hers, who needed a Quince jam recipe from an earlier time period.   I spent about half an hour or so digging up some recipes and sending them on.   Then I found another recipe, slightly different which I passed on too, with all the citations of course.    I got a lovely invitation to come and pick quinces from her quince grove.  That was fun.  These fruits smell amazing.  I walk into the kitchen and there is a sweet, spicy almost cinnamon scent.  They are also huge.  I've only seen one quince before and it was quite small.  These things are as large or larger than my hand!  I'm letting them ripen up a bit while I decide what to make with them.   I'll make a period 1860's quince marmalade for sure, and maybe some quince paste, which seems to be a fruit leather type of recipe. I'm looking forward to trying these and will post the results of my attempts.


No comments:

Post a Comment