Friday, 8 July 2011
Last weekend I started a new pair of socks, using a colourwork stranded technique. The last pair of socks I tried with this method, stymied me. I know now, it was because the chart needed to be redrawn. On July 1st I tried again, with a different design. I pulled out the design I really wanted to do and decided that perhaps it was a tad too ambitious for a first project, or at least first stranded colourwork in 25 years or so. I found a slightly simpler pattern to start with. I pulled out the yarn and started knitting in a bit of down time. I got the cuff and first border done before camping with a ton of friends became distracting. When I got home, I decided that it was enough practice and ripped it out, going back to the the first choice design. Half-way through the pattern, I found an error that I couldn't correct since I'd managed to do a half pattern for one of the repeats on the wrong row. With no lifeline to rip back to and save the stitches or a gazillion miles of tinking (reverse knitting, stitch by stitch), I ripped it back and returned to my original pattern. I won't tell you how many hours and restarts it has taken to get this much done though, because I don't want to know. However it is the only project I've worked on this week :( At least it has been fun. I'm fairly happy with the outcome although I think I want to do a few more colourwork/stranded knitting projects just to finesse my technique a
little lot more.