Sunday, 26 February 2012
The second slip stitch sock is coming along quite nicely. It is such a quick knit pattern. I took this photo this morning after I'd picked up the gusset stitches. After dinner this evening, I managed to knit almost, but not quite half of the foot!
In other news, the shirt I've been trying to make for my sweetie, has been quite the project. It is a simple 1860's shirt. It should be easy, considering how close the pattern is to a 1500's shirt. However, I used a commercial pattern and the directions have you sewing patches over the gussets and gussets in plackets and partial linings inside, to cover all the unfinished edges. As well, almost all the seams are flat felled. So I finally sat down to sew. I sewed all those lovely flat felled seams, attached the sleeves and gussets. I put all the gusset lining patches in by hand. As I went to attach the collar, I realized that I'd sewn all the flat felled seams inside out. There is no way I'm ripping out the seams. The fabric is too lightly woven to handle that much reverse sewing and I don't have the patience for it. I'll just grab some different fabric, recut and sew a whole new shirt. Sometimes, I wonder how I can manage to make such a major, and really dumb error. Oh well, the next one will be tons better, I'm sure.