Thursday, 12 July 2012
Crazy Quilty Goodness
Trim the edges square, add a lining, two folded strips for pockets and bind the edges. Find a piece of scrap wool fabric, fulled or a piece of felt would work well here. I just didn't have any. Cut two pieces just shy of the full measurements of the piece. Stitch the wool pieces down the middle, from just under the binding, to just before the binding. I back-stitched twice on each end for security because I was too lazy to pull the thread ups to one side and knot them. I used a black thread for the bobbin as it lined up with the black patch on the front and red thread for the top thread in the machine, to match the wool pieces.
I spent quite a few minutes trying to find a matching piece of ribbon. I've lots of ribbon bits, from previous craft interests; velvets, satin, grosgrain, picot edged - lots of it, in all sorts of colours, except the colour of the binding. I settled for navy blue grosgrain ribbon. Then I also realized that I had spools and spools of thread in a rather scant assortment of colours, which didn't include navy. I ended up using black thread as it will be several days before I can get into town to get more thread.
Finished, one Victorian Crazy Quilted Needle Case. It has 4 pockets for holding supplies and 4 pages to hold different types of sewing needles. This one is a gift but I believe I shall have to make one for myself as I realized all my needles are tossed in with my pins and not easy to find.