Pages

August 15, 2014

This week in colour

 Despite the cool weather, the garden veggies are ripening.  We've been eating fresh tomatoes almost daily for several weeks now.  The beets are awesomely sweet and tender, making me wish I'd  planted many more.  I'm really the only one who likes them though, so there are enough for me.   The cucumbers are late this year because they either didn't germinate in the cool weather or seedlings were eaten by a very small bunny, finding his way under the fence.  Finally, the third time was a charm, though we won't get tons, we're getting enough to have a nice taste of fresh cucumber now and then.

I asked my sweetie to put up a couple of shelves over my desk.  After much discussion about whether we would attach them to the wall or have it free standing, I let it be his choice.  After a brief discussion about what it might look like, this is what I received.   There was a complaint that it would have been cheaper to purchase an antique shelf, after I tallied up what the milk paint would cost to finish it.  However, I've been using leftover paint here.  Not quite the same finish, but it's looking pretty good.   Just a bit more painting to do, and I'll post a finished photo.







Playing around with greens and yellows, plus slogging away on my homework.  It takes me longer to spin up the fibres I dislike.  Soy silk was one of those.  However, when blended with some Merino, it turned out to be something quite yummy.  It still took a bit to spin, because I ended up blending a bit more than I'd anticipated, plus other chores got in the way.  It's so soft and lovely.  Because there is about 60% Merino, I was able to use a long draw, which was also a nice change.  So far, all the man-made fibres I've used have required a short forward draw with lots of twist.  A bouncy, squishy, soft longdraw yarn was almost like a holiday.

I plied the green yarn with a chartreuse merino that I had on hand from a previous experiment.   It's quite nice and took a while to spin up, because I got carried away with the blending process.

No comments:

Post a Comment