Monday, 17 April 2017

Waffle Weave update, spring cards and woad seed planting

I hemmed all the waffle weave cloths by machine, which meant that they actually got hemmed in record time.    I had tried several different treadlings for the hems, but after trying them all, I preferred to just weave the hems in waffle weave.   They seem to look and act the nicest in the finished towels and are pretty easy to hem.
The two cloths I did with purple cottolin weft, were folded into bunny shapes.  I used them to hold hand poured vanilla scented candles. They are votives and now I'm thinking that I should have put them in votive holders, to make sure the kids burn them safely.  This one isn't waffle weave, but an inadvertent birdseye twill, because I set the treadles in correctly for the pattern I was using.   I even tested and checked it, so I really wasn't paying attention that day as I was halfway through the towel when I noticed it.
I carved this block of spring flowers.  I was thinking about a friend who loves snails, so I added a little snail to the picture.   My son's girlfriend thought they were pretty neat and suggest I sell these on Etsy.   I thought that was a rather nice compliment.
I planted some more Japanese Indigo seed, these ones are destined for the garden, whereas the first batch was grown early, in order to try to produce my own seed.   I also planted some woad seed.   I used old seed and only a few germinated.  I took some of that seed and soaked it overnight, and a few more germinated.  I soaked some seed overnight, layered it in paper towels and set it in a plastic bag, like that grade school science experiment with beans.   A few more seeds germinated.    Then I found the last remaining seeds that a friend gave me more recently.   I soaked those over night and planted them.  So far, none of these last batch have germinated.   But... (happy smile here ) so far enough of the old seed has germinated, using all those extreme methods, that I should have enough to play around with woad pigment later this summer, if I can keep them alive.  I think I have 20 seedlings so far.  If the fresher woad germinates, then I'll have a safety net as well.

I have fresh Madder seed if anyone needs any.  It's from last fall.



1 comment:

Woolly Bits said...

pretty, pretty, your cloths! I wish I could find good dishcloths here, but all that's on offer is some kind of terry cloth, not good for glasses as they "shed":( I had to "order" from my mother at home to get some decent ones - still not set up for weaving my own:(
still haven't put out my woad seeds, old like yours, but I think they'll do for a few plants, just to try them out. if I don't have enough for this year, I should have enough seeds eventually, because just one plant would produce enough for half my garden:)
and I'd love some madder seeds, because DH through away all my plantlets from last year when cleaning up the polytunnel:( as soon as I leave the house he's up to no good - and calls it "helping":( but I guess the postage to ireland would be quite high, so I'll better check sources closer to home....
good luck with your plants!
Bettina