The staple length is all over the spectrum. Some areas are only a couple of inches long - leg and belly maybe? Except that the leg areas would have been skirted off and the belly as well, since it's usually pretty icky with bits you don't want to bother with. Some areas have a stable length of close to 6 inches. That is a huge variation.
Because of how it looks to have a definitely break of colour in the locks, I'm thinking it's a double coat - with both the white and the brown fibres, except that the brown doesn't go all the way up to the cut end - weird.
So I put a bit of fibre in a laundry lingerie bag and washed it - then realized that I'd use the same amount of soap and degreaser for a laundry tub full, so filled 4 more bags up and washed those as well. It's all hanging to dry, either in the bags on the line, or it's laid out on the rack, inside to dry. It's so windy out there, less than yesterday when I washed it, but still, if it's not pegged down, it would definitely end up in the neighbour's field.
This morning I processed a small handful of the now clean and dry fibre. I picked out the larger stuff, used hand cards to make rolags, but did a few passes first, to shake out a bit more of the smaller VM. The two colours are definitely separate fibres, which blended nicely on the hand cards. I should have taken a photo of the rolags as they were quite beautiful. The fibre is super soft and fine but has some neps in it. I figured it would be the brown weathered tips, but they are all white. I'm wondering if maybe the sheepie was starting to roo and those little neps were bits of the new coat coming in.
The neps and some of the fleece length differential caused spinning to be a little fussy at some times. I used a tradition longdraw with the rolags and thought it would be a horribly uneven yard. It's not though. It's quite consistent and look at that lovely heathery look too the yarn. So different than the original fleece. It's soft and pretty. It will be fun to play with.