Pages

March 26, 2019

Checked Double Weave Wool Blanket

The checked double weave blanket is off the loom.  All I did after cutting it off was to do a quick zigzag stitch on both ends to keep the blanket from fraying before it was finished.   I had entertained the thought of twisting fringes, but when I cut it off, I managed to cut off the fringe allowance on the front.   I actually don't really like blankets with fringes on the ends.  They look spectacular for sure.  However functionality is suspect.  Fringes get in the way.  They tickle your face and nose.  The cause much too much excitement for the cats, who think they are built in toys.   They dangle into your tea when you least expect it and drag on the ground when you wrap yourself in the blanket.

 I thought the fringes would look nice.  I'm really glad I don't have fringes.   I cut this off the loom on Sunday.  I let it sit and relax until Monday afternoon when I started looking for and fixing skipped threads.  I finished those and hemmed it while visiting with my daughter.    I tossed it in the washer last night for a partial fulling.   Today I cut off all the thousands of ends.   I had tons of bobbin changes.  Not only did I need to switch bobbins  and shuttles for each colour change,but with doing the 60ish inches wide, a single bobbin only did about 16-20 rows.   There a lot of bobbin changes.

I almost took a photo of the ginormous pile of ends and bits I'd cut off.  But then I thought of a bunch of cooking blogs I'd visited which have photos of the ingredients, photos of the empty bowl and spoon, photos of the addition of each ingredient, each step, and then 12 photos of the finished product, from various angles and with different crispness in focus etc.   It's like you can't just jot down the recipe and a series of steps anymore.  Instead you need to tell everyone that your second cousin twice removed's stepmothers sister, loves the recipe so much she framed it for posterity, with 47 photos of the production of the recipe because we all have so much spare time these days that we can spend 10 minutes scrolling down to find the recipe is hidden behind a link button.   ARGh..

 Really, I don't care and didn't think anyone else would care about a pile of short cut bits of yarn either.   I did notice I missed 3 ends on one side which needed to be stitched in, which I did and while doing that I found 2 other skipped threads that I'd missed.  When I went back to fix them, I couldn't find them at all.   After hanging a load of laundry on the line, I came back to toss the blanket in the washer for a second fulling, but had to wait as our very old cat had poked around to move it so he could have a nap on it.  Eventually he moved and I got the blanket in for a second wash.  This was a short wash, on warm wash/cold rinse, so there was a bit more fulling action.   It's not as thick as the last blanket, but it's not flimsy and airy either.   It has a nice weight and isn't going to stretch or wear badly.    And.... my hubby decided that he "really liked it".    Now I think this means I need to make another blanket.   It won't be checks though as that is just too much work.

Specs -
  It was 63" wide by 113" long right off the loom.  This was my 36 in Fanny so I'm pretty happy about that.

After the hemming and the first fulling, it was 58 " x 103 "

Final size after second fulling -  52" x 95"

2 comments:

  1. It turned out really well! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find double width weaving fascinating; with no experience it sounds a bit magical to me! and I agree about fringes - no self-respecting cat could withstand that much temptation!:)
    I thought I am the only one who hates food blogging with a vengeance... isn't one pic enough of the cake, muffin, soup dish to see what's what? looking for a recipe nowadays means scrolling through picture after picture of showing the one dish from every angle, incl. from outer space:( and if I am really lucky, just when I have finally found the recipe a window pops up that tells me I have to either subscribe or agree to cookies and whatnot:( I always wonder if food blogger eat only cold dishes - by the time they've taken all the pix everything must be stone cold...on the other hand cookbooks nowadays cost a small fortune - and the books take up a lot of space, so I have to be careful with buying new ones or my shelves will collapse any time soon! rock and hard space:)

    good luck with the next blanket - my dream is to one day make one myself - but first I need to find space to weave - and get a bit of experience in:)

    ReplyDelete