Pages

June 29, 2020

Adventures in Spinning



Three days of spinning cotton.   The photo show the different but between the bobbins, but while I'm spinning it, it seems like I'm accomplishing very little.   Day three was almost 2 hours of spinning to get to that point.   This has been my Tour de Fleece (a virtual spinning event) project.  My goal is the cotton spun and plied at the very least.

I do like spinning cotton though.  I like the long draw and longdraw is my go to when I'm doing a spinning demo.  Cotton as a fibre is just a bonus.   I'm wishing I had some flax to spin next but my stash is all out of flax right now.  My car needs to go in for repairs later this week, so my  stash will remain empty a bit longer.


The Merino /silk blend I was spinning is all spun and plied.   It's very soft and lusterous.   I didn't count my yardage which is ticking me off now.  It's easier to count while on the niddy noddy, than afterwards.   Now I have no idea of the yardage, so planning a project for it is a bit more work.

I also finished spinning up the Merino top.  It was a lovely fibre to spin.   The top was a commercial product and spun beautifully.  I will admit that I spun this while talking and paying little attention, so I'm happy it turned out so even and pretty.    Once again, because I was doing two things at once, I just skeined it up and didn't count the yardage.      I am thinking I might toss this bit in a dye pot.   I do like to have spun up white yarn on hand  for spur of the moment  dyeing experiments.

1 comment:

  1. busy spinning! I didn't get very far with my red (for a christmas sweater for me - finally:)... too busy knitting on several projects. but you can still count your yardage while skeined? just unfold it and count the threads, measure the length of the skein and multiply? I didn't use to do that, but have learned my lesson after not having enough yarn twice, when estimated in a ball:( and I started noting what and how much I've spun - seeing it all listed in my booklet makes it less likely that I might forget a whole box full of skeins of handspun - like I did last year:) I sometimes think I should wait for a longer dry spell and dig every box out I have - to put it side by side and stash it away orderly - after noting what I have! sadly if we do have a dry spell all I can think about is getting the garden done....
    seeing as it's another washout day today - I might as well start ironing my new pw fabrics...

    ReplyDelete