Pages

June 05, 2020

Rug Hooking



I've started hooking the tulip rug pattern.   I have some odds and ends of wool that I picked up, but not enough to really coordinate anything, so it's really going to be a bit of a hit and miss sort of pattern.   I thought I had plenty of green, but ran out much sooner than I expected.  I'm also not sure of what colours to use for the last 3 tulips, since I don't  have enough of any colour to complete a single flower, let alone 3 main colours and 3 contrasts for the lot of them. 


The running out of green problem I solved by taking a bunch of yellow bits and pieces and dumping some blue and yellow dye on them, using a mason jar technique.  Then, I did a second dye, where I dumped them all in a pot and married the colours - forcing the dye to bleed out, then hitting them with a bit shot of acid to force the now blended colours to take.  This gave me  slightly mottled and more similar shades of green.  Having distinct greens in lights, mediums and darks worked for shading the leaves, but the green that the yellow wool gave me was one I didn't particularly like and there was too much contrast with the yellows and the green.  This way, although I loose the shading, I gain in a green that I like, which has some texture but not too much.

 Not having access to a  wool strip cutter is getting a bit tiresome.   I'm cutting everything with a rotary cutter.  My strips are a bit larger than I'd like, but I can't get them much narrower.  Maybe lack of skill on my part, or my ancient cutter, which has a wobbly blade sometimes, and  tightening screw which is either too tight or gets too loose very quickly.  It's getting tiring cutting all those strips by hand.  I spent over 2 hours cutting and hooking today.   All I had to show for it, was a little pile of strips and all I had hooked was that little bit of black/blue background.  

Mister supervisor Phil also impeded my hooking time by deciding that he needed to check out the underside of my pvc frame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment