Pages

May 14, 2023

Circular Sock Machine Luuvvvvvv....


 I'm totally in love with one of these.   I went to a "crank in" on Saturday and saw vintage and modern circular sock machines in action.  I got to try a couple as well.  People showed me how they made heels, i-cord, started socks, how to fix skipped stitches more.   There was a machine from 1896 still making socks!    I was so busy talking with people that I forgot to take any photos at all.  

Now the issue is finding one of these that is within my budget.  I've been toying with the idea of getting a circular sock knitting machine for years, but never found anyone who actually had one, that could show me how they worked.   I was thrilled when a friend suggested  that I come to the event, which was local.   This confirmed in my mind that a machine like this is for me!   

This is a page from the catalogue from the Canadian company Creelman which made sock knitters from 1872 - until 1926. 


I wandered around the yard this morning and the zucchini plant which was started too early was flowering.   I don't know if it ever got warm enough for the bees to be out and about today.  I was thrilled though that there was both a female flower and a male flower at the same time.  

There are 3 cool nights this week, one with a risk of frost, so I'll have to cover the plants in hopes of keeping them safe. I should have waited to plant my seedlings, but they were starting to outgrow their little pots again, and I didn't want to have to re-pot them again.   I'd planted one tomato which I'd already put in a new container and was obviously not happy.  I found a bunch of plastic cloches that I'd used with success before and planted everything in the planters.   The only two which haven't fared well are the cucumber seedling which got pecked by a grackle, and the Serrano chile pepper which wasn't doing well in it's little pot either.   But there is a new leaf on it, so my fingers are crossed that it will survive.   My son-in-law gave me the seedlings, and they are varieties which are harder to find around here.

My son kept adding solar lights to the garden for days.  There are solar sunflowers, solar tulips, solar dandelions, solar wheat stalks, some strings of lights like in the gazebo, and a whole bunch of firefly lights like these, all around the garden.  The firefly lights are nearly invisible during the day but the rest sort of stand out.  But at night, the whole back garden is lit up in one crazy way.  A little tacky, maybe, but also so pretty and fun.



1 comment:

  1. A circular sock machine sounds fantastic. I'm surprised someone hasn't started making a modern version. Except they'd make it all out of plastic and how long would that last!

    Your squash is way ahead of mine! Nice that you have someone starting seedlings for you.

    I like your shot of the solar lights. Do they last all night?

    ReplyDelete