Pages

May 02, 2023

Happy May!

 We've had day after day of wet, grey, dreary weather.   I'm looking forward to later in the week when we're supposed to get some sunshine.   I've been trying to move some plants from the old raised beds in preparation for the new ones being built.  I'm half done, but it's been too wet to finish up for almost a week now.

Twice now I've seen a bald eagle flying over us.   They are huge and fly very fast.  At least they fly quickly when the crows appear out of nowhere to chase them away.     We also heard an odd bird call the other day.  We were in the garage and this odd trilling was very loud. It was a sound I'd never heard before.  I popped out to see what it was, as it was definitely close, and there in the tree was a Raven.  Then several crows appeared and chased it off.   I checked the Raven call on-line and it was exactly what we'd heard.   I've seen it a couple of times since then as well.   Large predator birds overhead  does make me a little more careful about letting my chooks out though.   The hens don't like the wet weather though, so I don't feel quite so badly about keeping them locked in for the day when it's cold and rainy.

The plaid shawl is finally off the loom.   Really, I got busy and chose to do something other than weave.  It's pretty and I love the look of the plaid, but it is really a pain to weave.   It's a very subtle combination of colours.  More subtle than I'd have normally chosen.   I'm not sure what type of lights were in the shop where I purchased the main colour.   It looked grey in the shop.   I realized that it would be very dull unless I had an accent colour.   I found the same yarn  brand at a local store, and thought the grey they had was similar to the one I had at home.  It wasn't. While there was lots of contrast at the local store with their grey, mine is a different shade.  Maybe that's why it was on super sale!   So back to the store to pick up the yellow, to give the whole look some definition.   Regardless, I do like it.   It's 23 inches wide and 72 inches long, so a good size for a shawl.

I'm thinking it's time to warp up the floor loom and give it a go.  My hip is healed up enough and as long as I don't over do it, it should keep any swelling and inflammation down according to the surgeon.  

  We went to a concert on Saturday and I got to play with the camera on my phone.  We got our tickets late and had crazy nose bleed high seats.  We had a good line of site, so we got to see the show quite nicely.  Plus there was no-one beside us as we were tucked away in our own little alcove, so there were benefits.   We were about 200 metres away from the stage though, so I'm pretty happy that my little phone was able to take half-decent photos from that far away.   This is Joss Ross who was the opening act.   He had a good raport with the crowd and put on a great show.

The main performer was Lee Brice who also put on a great show.  I really liked the fact that the bass didn't over shadow the music.

There were a lot more people checking their phones during the concert than I normally see.   That was because it was game 5 for the Maple Leafs playoff hockey.  When that winning goal was won, right after that song ended, the crowd spontaneously erupted in "Go Leafs Go", which was particularly funny.  It lasted until he acknowledged the play off game win and thanked people for coming to the concert instead of watching the game.

 

Gratuitous cat photo of Phil, who sometimes gets cold and dives under blankets until he gets warm.  At night he either sneaks totally under the covers, or he just sleeps at your side, with his body under the covers and his head either on, or near the pillow.  He'll sleep that way for hours, but only until he's warm if he's completely under the blankets.




1 comment:

  1. I have a cat like that! On cold nights I spread my bathrobe out at the foot of the bed and as soon as I come out of the shower, she's begging me to do that so she can curl up under it.

    The shawl is gorgeous. Beautiful plaid. And I'm glad to hear your hip is healing well!

    ReplyDelete