Pages

May 27, 2024

A much needed update

 Along with crazy busy for the SCA event FOOL, Fruits of our Labours, that I've helped run for 16 years, my old computer decided to get crankier than normal.  After trying to work out its issues, I got it back up and running a bit.  Now though, thanks to a son who handed me a new computer for Mother's Day, I'm moving all my files over, and having to learn a new suite of apps, which work differently on this one.

The lilacs had just started blooming before the Victoria Day weekend and sadly, due to a huge amount of rain and then some ridiculously warm days, when I got home on Monday, they had turned brown and sad.  I missed them completely.    I was drinking my tea outside on Tuesday though, and I got to watch two baby birds fledging.  The parent birds were nearby and kept showing them what to do.  The one chick tried to go back into the nest, but the parent stopped them from entering.  Then suddenly they both took off.  I've been watching them on and off all week and they keep practicing short runs.   It took them the better part of the week.  I didn't see them yesterday so maybe they've moved on.

We spent a morning last weekend cleaning and seasoning cast iron at Westfield.   A lot of the cookware


was in desperate need of cleaning.  It had been sitting all winter and had been in use all last summer.   We scrubbed the inside and outside with steel wool.   Then we rinsed it well and set it on the huge gas stove to dry over the burner pilot lights.   Then we applied a thin layer of oil or shortening and they were baked in the oven to season.  That took over an hour, so while that was happening we went to 3 of the houses with cookstoves and learning how to apply blacking.  The blacking is a liquid with metal particles suspended, which when rubbed on and then heated, hardens on the stove top.  This protects the metal and makes it look less worn.  

It's raining again.  There are 16 bags of triple mix, 3 bags of manure and a bale of straw waiting for me to finish up the third raised bed.  We've put a thick layer of sticks, small limbs and other wood stuff from our scrap pile in the bottom.  Then a layer of composting straw was put on top of that and it was mixed with some older manure from the chicken pen.   We didn't have any green stuff, grass clippings etc, so this will have to do.   Now I need to layer on the triple mix to top it off.   The straw will go to mulch the tops of the beds once they are planted. I need to also top up the planters because they need a bit of new soil or compost each year and as well, the chooks have been having fun digging through them and they aren't very neat.


My garden is going in late this year.   Usually it's mainly in by now, but with the weather and the new bed, it's delayed, not only because of the new bed, but because instead of getting some of my seeds locally, I had my daughter pick up some specialty seeds from a seed nursery closer to her.  I'm trying the self pollinating zucchini and cucumbers this year, as well as a new variety of green beens which is supposed to have a longer season.  My son in law has grown some extra grape tomato plants and a couple of unique slicing styles.  I'm only planting Roma tomatoes.  I couldn't find Amish plum tomatoes, so I ended up with a generic Roma tomato with a short season.  Hopefully these will ripen up earlier than last year's tomatoes.

While I missed the lilacs, the poppies are strong this year and looking lovely.

Nothing on the loom except some mug rugs from a warping demo.   A couple of pairs of summer socks knitted on the CSM, and a shawl, almost finished from hand spun yarn.   Photos to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment