Pages

August 18, 2026

Colours of Late August: Yellow


Well the colours this time of year seem to be mainly yellow.  Overnight the late blooming Queen Anne's Lace disappeared, as did the chicory, and a bit of something purple that I didn't take the time to stop and identify it.   I don't know the official name of this flower.  It grows about 2 m (6 ft) tall.  I got a little clump from a  friend, who got her's from a friend.  Years ago, at one of my kids soccer games, the coaches wife was giving away clumps of this flower that she'd gotten from her grandmother's garden.   So it's an old variety of some kind of rapidly spreading, tall, bright yellow flowers.  Lots of people say it's been found at old homesteads, their grandparent's homes etc.   It's reliable as it blooms in abundance at the end of every summer.  It get's pummelled down by heavy rain, and still blooms, just sideways on the grass.  I've no idea how to control it because digging doesn't always get all the roots and one year in desperation, someone used round up on it and it died back a bit and then the next year, just popped back up, stronger than ever.   It's a good thing it's pretty.

Rudbeckia.  This is a cultivated variety that I planted.  It reminds me so much of being a kid and the fallow fields and roadsides were plentiful with a wild variety of this flower.  Of course we called them Blackeyed Susan's then.  I used to braid daisies in the earlier summer and these later in the summer, into my horse's forelock and mane!
It's still one of my favourite garden flowers, especially for the colour it adds late in the year.


The feed store has a tiny plot of dirt beside the smallish greenhouse.   They used to toss pumpkin seeds there and have a lovely little pumpkin patch in the fall.  Then the whole fashionable thing of getting photos taken in Sunflower patches came up, so they planted sunflower seeds.  They grow tall and look lovely, and then at the end of the season, they toss the remains into their compost, beside the old silo.  There are a quite few volunteer sunflower plants growing this summer, which look quite fun with the volunteer pumpkin plants.  Most of the flowers were still looking a bit down, as it was mainly cloudy that day, but this one was most optimistic, and reaching for the sun that wasn't quite there yet.
Another volunteer, although it's definitely not yellow!  Almost 20 years ago I planted some morning glories in a planter near the front door, where they grow slowly and only had a few blooms.  The next year one plant returned and still was late blooming, with only one or two flowers.   The issue of course was the really bad soil, probably garden soil, hard and compacted and needed to be replaced badly.  I was busy and it wasn't all that important so I just left it and moved on.   Every few years though, I find a morning glory growing someplace around the front entry.  I take that as a win.  These are just the bog-standard variety, nothing special at all, but I do enjoy the little pops of purple.


No comments:

Post a Comment