Pages

April 28, 2014

Daffy Down Dilly and garden updates

 Daffy Down Dilly has come to town, in a yellow petticoat and a green gown.

 Daffodils have just started to bloom.  The yellow ones are miniatures Daffs.  They are always first to bloom.   I realized that there are lots and lots of the large Daffodils in the bicoloured variety, but no large plain yellow ones.  I'll try to remember that for this fall.  I NEED big, plain yellow Daffs!

Before splitting
 A dump truck load of wood was ordered from a local tree care place.  They sell the trees they take down to local small mills, but the rest they cut into stove lengths and deliver for a decent price.   You still have to split it though, and it's not for this winter, but for next as it still has to dry.
 Now the guys have started in at it   But look back there at those huge chunks!  We might need to borrow my cousin's log splitter for those.  Both the chainsaw and the axe are getting a work out.  I'm staying well away from this endeavour for now.  Instead, I've been playing in the garden, since it's now dry enough to dig.  While we still have chances of frost for a few weeks more, there is lots that can be planted and loves the cooler weather.   I've got onions, multiplier onions,  beets, spinach, lettuce, and chard already planted.   I also found some nice looking strawberry plants and picked up a few to expand the strawberry bed that had been eaten.  Turns out it finally started to come back, including a bunch of volunteers.  I dug those up, made a second row and filled in the spaces with the new plants.   Since this garden is now fenced off, with the gate closed, they should be safe.

 I tried to get a photo of the baby leaves on the Black Currant bush, but was photo bombed by one of the chooks.  The problem with snapshots on the phone, is that you don't necessary get to choose the focus and depth of field, so the chook stole the show in this one.

I did get the first harvest of the spring though, some Winter Onions.  They are sweet green onions, known as Walking onions in some areas.  I ate one for my lunch and the others will be for dinner.  They grow little clusters of bulbs and seeds at the tips of the mature onions and the weight tips them toward the ground for self planting, although you can harvest them and plant them where you actually want them.  I'm hopeful that leaving a judicious amount of onions this year, will give enough to start really good harvesting next spring. 

The Welsh Perennial onions came up this year too - finally!  I've tried for two years to get them established.  The first year they just disappeared one day.  I'm guessing a hungry chook at them.  Probably the one who also ate my Sage plant to the nubbins.   They'll also be in sights for next year's harvest.


No comments:

Post a Comment