Heidi's and it's a really good way to set aside a block of sewing time. I need to finish up a couple of Victorian garments. The Master Spinner class work has been taking up a lot of time and I've sort of neglected this project. So I gathered together my materials in preparation. I had to run out to town in the late afternoon, so I grabbed some fast dinner stuff as well. I don't often do that, but it was a nice treat and gave me extra sewing time.
The shirt still needs it's cuffs, button holes and buttons. I'm not happy with the collar. While I cut it larger than the pattern piece, knowing that the recipient needed a larger size, it's not quite large enough, although it should have been. The fabric is a very fine Madras plaid and so lightweight that ripping out a seam is just not going to happen, so he'll have to live with it. Still, the rest of the shirt came together nicely for a first try with this pattern. I think next time though, if he wants another Victorian shirt, I'll make one using the new French cut, with real armscyes and fitted shoulders, just for a nice change of shirt making experiences. This one still uses rectangular construction like medieval shirts.
Earlier on Thursday I was thinking about Christmas pressies. I decided to card up some black Merino with some Sari Silk and do some just for fun spinning. I was thinking about making a hat or some mitts for a young lady and this seemed appropriately soft and fun. I used about 90% Merino and only 10% Sari Silk. It really doesn't take a lot to make a splash of colour against the black. I've no photo of the spun yarn yet. The skein is still wet from finishing and with the cool, damp and rainy weather we've had, and the wood stove not up and running yet, things are taking a tad longer to dry than normal.