Thursday, 29 September 2016
Painted warp scarf progression
The next scarf however, was a lighter pink and black. I tried the dark grey again and after a few picks, I took it out. It made the scarf heavy looking and totally drowned out the pink. The lighter grey looked awful as well because neither the pink or the black showed up with it. After several more tries, I realized that I didn't have anything which would look good. So I did the math (incorrectly so it seems, but it worked out okay anyway), wound off a couple of skeins. I decided to do a pink for the pink /black warp and a blue for the next scarf which would be blue/green.
I actually did the math for the required colours and immediately forgot that the blue was a 2% solution. The dye struck almost immediately, so I was rushing around madly, winding off an extra skein of yarn, squishing water through it to wet it and tossing it in the dye vat to take up the last bit of blue. I ended up adding a few more mls of blue dye, just to deepen it a bit and both colours work with the blue/green scarf - phew.
The pink really was a lovely accident though. The solution for a medium pastel, was darker than I'd anticipated, so had to do the same frantic skein winding as I'd done with the blue. However the shade of pink I got from the second skein was exactly spot on the pink in the scarf warp. Yay!
The black warp sections show up better in real life than in my photo.