While I was deciding whether to re-weave it or not, I remembered that I still had to make the strap for the Hedeby bag that I'd made last fall. I had used a makeshift strap from a piece of tablet weaving, which was white and green, totally the wrong colours and way to thin. It looked ugly and was uncomfortable to wear. I realized that if I didn't just make the darned strap now, time would get away from me and it might never get finished.
I used 4/8 cotton because I had it on hand. Since this strap would likely touch my neck, I didn't want to use wool. The wool that I'd spun up, which would be comfortable to wear on tender skin areas, wasn't nearly strong enough for a strap, nor for inkle weaving. The wool that I have, which was suitable, is to rough for me to want to wear in an area which might rub. I wanted to use a tan, like the bag I'd woven, but
I didn't have any in the right weight and I really wanted to use what I had on hand. Instead I used a natural cotton and a dark, denim blue. I warped up the inkleloom yesterday and finished just after supper today, with a strip of tape just under 3 yards long - 105 inches in total. I could have gotten a few more inches woven, but a warp thread broke and really, it wasn't worth fixing it for another 2 inches of tape length. I attached the tape to the wooden bag handles, by threading it through the appropriate holes and tying an overhand knot.
It looks a tad short, but it isn't. The handles rest nicely on my hip and when it's open, I can reach in and touch the bottom of the bag. I absolutely hate it when I make my bag strap too long and I can't reach in without lifting it up. The best is that it is very comfortable to wear too.
The grey superwash, spun and plied. It's a lovely worsted weight. The colour is a rich, charcoal colour, which will be very useful. I've no idea what I'll use it for though, so it's into the storage bin with it.