Pages

July 06, 2007

The Pink Cushion


I was asked by a friend to make a cushion for another friend. Well, voluntold would be the real word. My services were offered by someone I like and respect, so I didn't mind at all. It was to be a special upholstery job for the new Princess of Ealdormere. Ealdormere is most of the heavily populated areas of Ontario, Canada, from Ottawa to Sarnia and North to Sudbury. It is a Kingdom in a medieval historical re-creation group known as the Society for Creative Anachronism.
The initial contact suggested it was just a small cushion or a cushion cover, although when I actually talked to Princess Kayla, she cheerfully showed me the actual throne cushion which was to be in pink, instead of red.
I then spent a couple of weeks a) figuring out how to upholster b) documenting a suitable shade of pink and c) making it with my fingers crossed that it would be tasteful. Kayla loved it. I was thrilled with how it turned out. I think I achieved tasteful and large pink trillium cushion in the same sentence. It looks far better on the actual throne than on my sofa!

3 comments:

  1. Oh. my. That certainly is pink. What kind of fabric is it? Satin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pink cotton Twill. The Trillium has a sheen to the fabric, but it is definitely not satin. I was more worried that a satin or shiney fabric would cause the pillow to be slippery. It was on Kayla's throne for court on Sunday. It looks almost the same and the pink doesn't scream outlandish or overt. I thought it was hardly noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it was noticeable, all right...lots of people were talking about it. Too bad you couldn't put those amazing talents towards making real kingdom regalia rather than joke stuff...

    ReplyDelete