Pages

April 21, 2010

Early Garden and Spring Chicks...

Look what I found! The early garden has been planted under a hooped frost cover. I had meant to switch over to plastic, to get the heat up as really, the white cloth doesn't do that. It does let in the rain though. In three small rows, allowing for multiple plantings, are Arugula, mixed leaf lettuces, radishes, spinach, green onions and something else that I can't remember. I meant to put in little row markers, but obviously didn't get around to it.

Look at my babies! Aren't they cute? The black ones are layers and the yellows will be a dual purpose meat bird. There are a couple of odd ones in there; a brown and a striped one. We'll have to see what they grow into. The black layers are New Hampshire X Barred Rock crosses. The store didn't have red heat lamps, so we'll have to go back for one as I don't think I like the white one. I'm hoping we can keep them warm enough for the next few days. I'm away during the day at a course, so can't keep checking on them. The weather is supposed to be getting cooler for the next few days so I'll be worried about them all day. Once they're a week old, it will be much less stressful!

3 comments:

  1. New little plants and new little chicks, what a happy combo. I have trouble remembering what I plant in beds too. I even write it down on a graph of the garden, but I still can't remember unless I carry the chart with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those chicks are sooo cute! If it's too cool - would you consider a box in your kitchen? A covered box?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh - those little fuzzy-butts certainly bring smiles! Luckily, when the seedlings get their first or second set of real leaves, they are distinctive enough to tell apart!

    Suzi- I've no problem with bringing them inside if need be. The laundry room would be a good place for a brooder if it came to that. I think the kitchen might be to small. They were in the house when they first came and the poor cat was terrified of them!

    ReplyDelete