Pages

November 27, 2012

A few small projects

 The frock coat is finally done.  There are a few issues with it, due to my just learning some of the basics of tailoring.  There will be a next one though and it will be even better.  The yellow bit underneath is a quickie vest I whipped up.  It will be remade one day as well.  This outfit will be useful when we visit certain friends.

As I'll be baking at the bake oven for a few days in December and the oven is outside, I thought I should make myself a nice warm hood to wear.   It is two layers of wool fabric, quilted with bamboo batting between them.  If I had thought about it properly, I would have carded up some wool and used it as the batting.  However the hood was a mock up experiment which worked quite well and I didn't think about the wool batting until the hood was completely finished.  I will say that leaving it on the styrofoam head where it got just a bit of light at night, was pretty eerie looking.  I had to move it and put the head back away.

The socks are done.  The pattern is much more clear when not having a flash reflect off the socks.  They fit nicely but they still need to be blocked.   I was thinking about making another pair of socks for December as it's always nice to have a small, portable project.  However, that quilt is calling to me.  It really needs my attention first.

2 comments:

  1. "When we visit certain friends," love it, LOLOL. You can only imagine the kind of friends that went through my mind. Love the hood BTW. In cold weather I very much appreciate keeping something on my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that coat looks good! I haven't had the sewing machine out for a long time, at least for clothing. not sure if I could still pull off the pockets, collar etc.. the hood looks good, too - it's just not for me, as the "nothing on my head" person:) esp. not in front of a hot oven!

    ReplyDelete