Pages

April 30, 2018

Catch up in the garden

 And all of a sudden, the garden is trying to catch up despite the cold, snowy, icy, wet spring we've had.   The Glory of the snow is blooming delightfully all through parts of the flower best and is sneaking into the lawn.  It's an issue here, because I love the flowers dotting the lawn before it's long enough to mow.   My sweetie, not so much.   But these are so pretty and being only 10 cm or 4 inches tall, they look like a pretty carpet when they start blooming en masse.

I was down on the Niagara Peninsula on Friday and the Daffodils were in full bloom.   Ours are just starting.  These are early ones that are in the front gardens, at least some that the chooks haven't dug up while sun bathing in the dusty soil by the house.

 The girls were thrilled when I let them out.   The animal tracks I thought were raccoon, are more likely skunk and while they can do some damage, they are less likely to attack the chooks.   They will dig up our lawn though and eat all the grubs, but they do it in the wee hours of the morning so we don't see them.  As long as they aren't startled into protection mode, we don't even smell the skunk.

The daffodils are so bright and sunny!   The Siberian Iris were just about to bloom when the ice storm hit.   They bloomed for about a day and the flower petals were all ragged and browning early, or broken and bent.  They tend to take the brunt of the chooks curiosity and foraging anyway.  Hopefully next year they will do better.
This gorgeous yellow, 6 petal flower pops up in only one spot in the garden.   I'd love to know what it is so that I could plant more.   

We have Scilla in various places around the garden.   The blue is incredible and not a common flower colour.   I love the way it is spreading wildly.   I'm thankful that our lawn is still too wet,soft and mushy to get the lawn tractor in yet, so I have time to enjoy them.   The lawn isn't really quite ready to mow, but it's already lush and green.
My son bought me a new computer mouse!  Yay!  I had a functional one that had a cord only 2 feet long, which I'd managed to adapt  to a weird contortion way of using it.   The new one is wireless and now in the more comfortable spot.  I'd totally gotten used to it with it's short cord.   This one is very nice though.

I'm spinning -   mainly trying to empty bobbins which are partially full.   However, I had one bobbin almost full and ready to ply, so I took the time to finish it.  Then I decided to make sure my little single treadle Mazurka was in working order and now will have to finish spinning up a bag of 50 g of Ramie before I can empty the bobbins for that wheel... does it never end?

1 comment:

  1. our spring has been late and not exactly warm, but at least snow seems to have stopped now! daffs are halfway through, muscari as well - the bluebells are starting to flower any day now! outside the wild primulas and violets are flowering - a sure sign that spring has finally made it:) every week the met forecast is for "heatwave/scorcher" etc. - and every week we get a max. of 15 deg C:) not a single dry day during the last 3 weeks either:( the garden beds look accordingly, i.e. full of weeds and nothing edible on sight (unless you fancy ground elder:() but I think I recognize your little yellow flower - I have a few bulbs of "wild" tulips here that look exactly the same! (tulipa sylvestris I'd say). the are much smaller and less showy - but I like them because they don't suffer as much wind damage as the larger breeds!
    enjoy the spring weather - hopefully it's there to stay!

    ReplyDelete