Pages

November 27, 2018

Colours as dull as our weather, sadly

I wove off 6 of these tea towels.    They took forever.   I found it amazing that I could weave for 2 hours with minimal breaks at the guild studio, on the slightly smaller Artisat, but on my fanny I have to take regular breaks every 20 or 30 minutes.   It's a larger loom and it feels so different.  It weaves beautifully though.    I used a sett of 18, as a couple of big name weavers suggest that for absorbent towels.  They will be absorbent and are very soft, but I think the next ones will be a sett of 20.

This is the underside of the tea towels we were weaving off in the studio.   I meant to take a photo of the second one I was weaving off but my sweetie called me up and asked if I'd like to run into town for some errands with him, and I totally forgot in the 10 minutes I had left to finish up and head out. Four of us wove off towel, to get 6 done before the show.  It was interesting about the speed differences.  Pat said it was 11/2 hr project.  I said 2 hours, another gal said it took her 5 hours.   It was an intuitive pattern though and I found it easy to get into a rhythm, which does help with speed.


I found a ball of brown worsted weight wool yarn stuffed in a corner of a bin.   I'm turning it into mittens.  I can't find any of my mittens from last year.  Considering I had a coat pocket pair, a truck pair, a car pair and a spare pair, it's kind of a lot to go missing or misplace.   I did treat myself to a nice new set of wooden needles.  These are Knit Picks, which only became available in my town last year.   They are beautifully finished and lovely to knit with.  I like the wooden needles because they are so light that I feel like I can knit forever.

I made this cardigan  a while ago and didn't ever wear it.  It was too big and kept slipping off my shoulders.  It was on the ugly side as well.   I kept telling myself that I'd frog it and re-knit it into something that a)fit better and was more attractive.    I told myself that for the better part of a year.   I think I was putting it off because I'd done a darned good job of sewing it together and didn't want to figure out where all those ends were and the seaming theads.

I finally sat down to rip it apart.  What a pain in the patootie!   It's taking way longer than I'd anticipated.   So far I have the neck/button band, the front and 1/2 sleeve ripped out. Sheesh, the way this is going, it will be next summer before I can start knitting the sweater.  I've already tried that.  Knitting sweaters is definitely not a summer or warm weather activity.







No comments:

Post a Comment