Pages

May 27, 2019

Hodge podge of "stuff".

 This is my newish Weld patch.  I planted it last year with a little tub of plants dug up from Shannon's garden.   One of the plants was tall and she didn't think it would survive.  It did however, and produced much seed.   One of the smaller plants also grew up to produce seed and it produced a lesser amount of seed.  All of that seed though, ended up in the little 2' x 4' space in raised bed #3.   There were 3 weld plants which survived the winter.  I pulled out the weeds and shortly thereafter, all sorts of things started growing.  I didn't know what they were, so I left them.  Today I weeded the little patch again.   I think that most of those little plants are baby weld plants.   Once I am certain about it, I'll thin them out  so they are happier.

The Woad and the Japanese Indigo are happy.  The Indigo is thriving in the plastic cloches.   The Woad is taking it's sweet time to grow.  Considering the plants were so small, really too small to transplant, when I stuck them in the ground under the green cloches, it's actually doing quite well.

We had a hearth cooking class at Westfield.   We were in the Inn, which has 2 hearths.  The other side is larger and there was a boiled rice pudding and a soft gingerbread, which is cake there.  In the small hearth was fresh pease soup and cocky-leeky soup.  The pease soup was good and very spring-like.   We couldn't puree it properly, as we didn't have the right equipment.  The cocky-leeky soup was stupendously delicious though.   It's definitely a keeper recipe.  That's for another post though.

 I found a skein of fuzzy blue acrylic in a thrift store which I used for the weft of the 2nd scarf.   I think it might be a short scarf though, as at 33 inches, I'm a bit over halfway through the skein.  I like how the blue is a bit more subdued than the black weft of the first scarf.

FOOL was a great event, although it kind of had a quiet end to the weekend, when huge winds blew through and threatened rain.  This caused virtually everyone to pack up and head home early.  It was a great weekend though.  We had a paper making tent set up where much cotton lint paper was made.  Here it is drying.   We did spend a bit of time racing around picking it up every time the wind picked up though.

No comments:

Post a Comment