Pages

May 22, 2020

A post event sigh and lots of colour

My time over the past few weeks was taken up by an SCA  arts and science event that is normally a long weekend camping event.  However, with pandemic precautions and still under a state of emergency order with gathering prohibited, we moved the event online.   This was the 13th event in a row and Loki wreaked havoc.   Misinformation given to our tech steward was incorrect, requiring her to revamp the whole process overnight.   The next day, the platform we were using crashed for parts of the whole world, and yet our tech people dealt again.   In the end, although a lot of extra work for those working the tech end, it was a great event.   Should we ever have to do this again, I will put out offerings for whatever gods I can think of, and for Murphy, just to be on the safe side

Finally, the winds have stopped, the rain has eased off, the snow has gone someplace else and I've been able to play in the garden. That's practically all I did this week.   There was much weeding, a bunch of planning and a trip to the garden centre.   I was worried because people here seem to think that social distancing is passe, but it was almost empty when I got there, so I had an uneventful trip.   Although the gal at the checkout tried to not sell me a hose nozzle, which I needed and was more than happy to spend $20 on it, so I didn't have to go to another store.   It turns out that it was well worth the money, so I'm happy.

I need to pick up a couple of herb plants.  Basil, because I forgot to plant seeds, parsley, because purchased plants always seem to grow better than mine, maybe oregan, and Lavender if I can find it.   With the pandemic and the cold weather, everything seems delayed.

I will plant beans, zucchini and cucumbers this weekend, plus one more planter of flowers perhaps, if I can find ones I like at the feed store.  Lettuce and peas were planted in March and are doing nicely, albeit a bit behind due to snow and frosty weather between then and now.   Multiplier onions are almost ready to harvest and the dutch set storage onions are all planted.  Tomatoes are in the ground, the Dyer's Knotweed is planted and the strawberries are starting to bloom.   I'm keeping it simple this year.

I wound a warp of 2/8 cotton in black and in purple cottolin.   I got it on the loom and am now weaving with the handspun varigated yarn I spun a while ago.   I'm thrilled with the results.   I'm not rushing it particularly, but am enjoying the process.  It is like weaving a sunset.

It is a bit difficult sitting down at the loom when the weather is perfect to be outside and playing.


1 comment:

  1. I suffer from constant bad conscience when the weather is good and I want to do stuff inside:) love the colours of your weaving - and the super pinks of your flowers! the yellow with it makes the pink really pop!
    I am still way behind with my flowers, so much to do with the veg... I hope to get some plants from the garden center this week or next - they only re-opened last week and there were large crowds everywhere:( luckily I still have some fuchsias and sanvitalia from last year that survived the mild winter we had...
    enjoy the growing!
    Bettina

    ReplyDelete