Pages

July 08, 2020

A few things.

 Here is the cotton I've been spinning for Tour de Fleece.  I divided the cotton simply by folding the sliver in half and breaking it at the mid-way point.   It would have been more accurate if I'd done it by weight, but I went with close enough as I wanted to get started.  The first bobbin has the first half of the sliver and I've started on the second bobbin.  This has been fun, but it's a lot of cotton and a lot of days in a row to be spinning cotton.   I might have to dig up the coloured Corriedale and make some funky rolags for a change once this is done.   I don't have a lot of dyed fibre or commercial colourways and once in a while I think that might be fun to do.

For the Tour de Fleece challenge day I spun some Tussah silk.  I have to admit that spinning silk isn't really a challenge, but I couldn't find the energy to blend some angora, or yak, maybe alpaca with some merino when it was 33°C, feeling like 40°C.  The silk was fun.  It's a bit slippery and does take a bit of concentration.  It's a lovely colour.  I had been mulling around the idea of blending it with some soft grey wool, however I didn't have anything that worked, so it's just plain blue.  I'm not complaining.

The birds have eaten almost all the strawberries.  I noticed that what I thought were the black currants were actually the white ones.   They were already half eaten when I had checked them.  They had just started to ripen.  I tasted a few and a they were so sweet and just barely ripe.  I figured if I didn't get the rest of the berries off the bush right then, they'd be eaten the next day.   I only have 259g of them.   Maybe if I get any of the black currants before the birds get them, I'll have enough to do a blended jelly.     The red currants are being eaten before they ripen, so I've decided not to fight the birds for them.  I didn't put the netting over them this year and obviously it made more of a difference than I realized.


No comments:

Post a Comment