Pages

January 23, 2022

1917 Currant Tea Ring

 

Currant Tea Ring 

Recipe is from the 1st edition of the Purity Cookbook.   A much later edition of this cook book was one which taught me to make pie crust, along with the Betty Crocker Cook book - the only two cookbooks that I could find in our house.   

The Purity Cookbook was published by the Western Canada Flour Mills.   The recipes in this book are shifting towards modern recipe instructions, with more details.  However they still presume that the baker, or chef has some knowledge of cookery and don't add oven temperatures or times of modern recipes.   

This is an enriched bread, filled with sugar, currants and cinnamon, rolled up like a jelly roll and snipped almost through to make a pretty presentation.  It was quite delicious.  It was a bit fussy to make but still worth the effort.   Use parchment on your baking tray to keep the sugar from solidifying on the tray as it drips out while baking.  Icing is icing sugar, water and vanilla.   I'd use less next time.  For a less fancy presentation, just slice it up and set them in a pan to make cinnamon rolls.   This presentation however was well received.  

The bread has a fine crumb, nice texture, slices beautifully and has a really nice, taste.  I used about half the sugar, so it wasn't overly sweet.  

2 comments:

  1. Oooo, I have to try this! I wonder how it would taste with walnuts or cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tea ring looks wonderful! I love the idea of the ring. I'm going to have to try that too.

    ReplyDelete