Pages

August 17, 2022

Old Spinning Wheels

  A gal asked me if I wanted her old spinning wheel.   She's not a spinner and when she bought her loom, they tossed in all their spinning equipment too.   This was all she had left and while all the pieces are there, it's not together, and needs a repair.   It's been tentatively identified as a Haldane Hebridean.   It has a lot of similar shapes and features, but until I get it cleaned up and put together, I'm guessing I won't know for sure.  The Hebridean has a pretty identifiable shape.  It's supposed to be based on a traditional wheel used in the Hebrides.  Haldane was a Scottish company which made several different styles of wheels in the 1970s.  I've met people who spun on Haldanes and they loved them, but these were the upright wheels, not the Saxony style.   

Still, it looks like a sweet little wheel and if I can get it working, then I'll be thrilled.

The wood is dry and dusty.  The leathers are in pretty good shape, although bone dry.   I'm researching how to clean and care for the wood.  What do I use to clean it?   Does it need some sort of finish on it?

Drive wheel is 16.5 inches, just like a Haldane.





The flyer and mother of all look the same as the photos of other Hebrideans I've seen.  







This is the repair needed.   I don't think I have the skills to fix this.   I haven't done a trial fitting yet, so I don't know how much actually broke off.     

I've also seen a Haldane in pieces and there were 2 wooden pegs, which are also missing.  The odd thing is, is that I can't figure out what would need to be pegged together. 

I just compared the two maidens.  This piece is definitely something I can't repair and will need an expert.   Does anyone local know someone who can reproduce something like this?

 


1 comment:

  1. Sweet! I have no idea about who can repair, but hopefully someone will.

    ReplyDelete