Pages

December 14, 2022

Getting back to normal

So far the wait has been worth it.  There was a hip replacement 2 weeks ago.  I've been told that I'm fairly young to have a hip replacement.  However, this is my second one and the first one was much younger still.   While there's pain from healing, the arthritis pain is gone and I'm moving better - so yay!

My DH took a week off to look after me.   He's very good at that sort of thing, but this experience has been so much different than the first one.  Different hospitals, different surgeons, different times so many things have changed. This one was done as day surgery and that was totally brilliant.   I've been so much more able and alert, far more quickly, that poor hubby has forgotten that I needed help to get in and out of vehicles or in doing a few things around the house. 

  I've also been banned from doing some chores that I'm able to do.   Like putting the clothes in the washer and starting it up.  Using my little bag that works with my crutches, and doing 2 or 3 trips, I can get both  my walking in and the washer loaded.  However, as DH pointed out, our washer has a self cleaning filter, that doesn't always self clean.  It's in a difficult to reach place. as in you have to take the back off the machine to get to it.   It's gotten clogged up a couple of times and the washer has overflowed.  This is fine if you can manoeuver in to turn off the taps and then clean up, but obviously I cannot do that right now.  Right now I'm happy that I figured out how to get my breakfast bowl into the sink.   Baby steps, I know...

For another few weeks, I'm still on a weight restriction on my healing leg, so I'm doing my physio, playing too many video games, wishing I'd put a warp on the table loom or the rigid heddle loom so that I could at least weave.  I painted another set of Xmas cards, have figured out how to get my breakfast and lunch with minimal help, although DH leaves things out in easily accessible places for me. My cats have been giving me extra loving.  I can't even spin because I normally treadle with my left leg and right now I can't :(  I never thought I'd wish I had an electric spinning wheel, but right now?  Maybe ?

Here is a photo of the breakfast preparations that DH left out for me on his first day back at work.   I'm not sure about the cookies left for breakfast though.

Last time it took me weeks to start feeling like things were getting back to where they should be.   This time, it's been days. 

Hmmm, maybe it's time to write a novel?


1 comment:

  1. A hip replacement is a big deal! Sounds like it went well, but I know it's hard to be patient with the recovery period. Sounds like you're doing really well! By all means write a novel! Do you have an idea in mind?

    And for the record, I'd eat cookies for breakfast any time (if I could!)

    ReplyDelete