Pages

June 14, 2020


Friday was cool, with a high of only 16C.   I used the cool weather as an excuse to make some black cherry jam.   I had frozen berries which needed to be used up.  I chopped them up in the food processor and used them for jam.  The jam is spectacular.   I love apricot and cherry jams.   I can't find them in the supermarkets, so I have to make them myself.  It's better jam albeit more work than purchasing a jar.  I can't decide which one I love better though.  It depends on which jam is on my toast at the time.  Last year there weren't any apricots available locally, so I hope I can find them this year.  Then I'll be set for favourite jam for the whole year, for me,  for gifts and then some.

 There are something like 7 trails or more within a half hour drive.  They aren't long and difficult trails but just small, local trails.  They are groomed, usually quite well groomed to make them easily accessible.  So while not challenging or difficult in any way, they are relaxing and fun to ramble over and through.  It's nice to get out of the house, even if it's a trail which is 12 minutes from your house and that's because they just graded the gravel road. We've been doing a different trail every weekend, though this weekend we did 2 of them.  This morning's ramble had some excitement.  It was through a hardwood bush and during the most recent storm a couple of trees had fallen.  They looked like ash trees, and since they are pretty much all dead, they are susceptible to the high winds.  Anyway, right after we parked our car, a guy pulled up in his truck and dragged out his chainsaw.   He told us that the ministry of whatever government agency which looks after the parkland, usually only deals with dead falls every few months.  When trees fall and he finds them, he just chops up the bit on the trail and moves that part of the log, to keep the trails open.  His daughter was pushing a stroller with a baby in it, accompanied by a very wet dog, so I can understand why he wanted to keep the trail open.

This however, has been the main time stealer.   Getting the sunset, cotton/wool yardage off the loom took much more time than anticipated.   I finally cut it off this afternoon.   I have 5 yards, 10 inches in length and 20 3/4 inches wide.   I still need to wet finish it.  I'll do that tomorrow since my son has his laundry on the clothes line today. It's soft and drapey.  It would have made lovely shawls.   I have it in my mind to make a sleeveless tunic, jumper or pinafore dress (the same garment with different names) with this, to go over winter t-shirts and jeans.    I will need to run to the fabric store, which is nice that's it's open now.  I'll need some lining fabric, a bit of interfacing, a zipper and some thread to make this into a garment.   I can also get the fabric for lining the bodices of the 1830 and 1860 gowns which are patiently waiting in the project queue.   I have everything I need for them except the bodice lining. 

2 comments:

  1. The fabric is beautiful! I love those colors.

    I've never made cherry nor apricot jam, but the both sound lovely. I agree that jam is a bit of work, but I love that the sugar can be adjusted (depending on the pectin) and that the flavors are unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. apricots won't do anything here, and if they do get into the shop they are so expensive that I wouldn't be able to afford much jam;) cherries grow, but the birds are always faster in picking, so no luck there. I could throw blackberry jam at people, usually get enough elderberry, sometimes sloes (with pears, to make it a bit less.... acidic:) - but it looks like the topper this year would be apple jelly. our crab apple everest is full of small apples - if they all grow and ripen we'll have enough to feed several armies with jelly:) pity that the apple trees with cooking and dessert apples are never that full - but it's not their fault, it's too shady where the stand.
    after two days full of thunderstorms and sometimes heavy rain I hope we'll get gardening weather again! but we needed the rain - tanks are all filled again.
    your fabric has beautiful colours - don't forget to show the result of your sewing!

    ReplyDelete