Pages

May 30, 2022

Garden update and weekend dyeing - dyeing with a Y

 I feel like I've hardly done anything in the past few weeks.  I was scheduling classes and taking registrations for those classes for a Victoria Day weekend event.   The weekend came, I spent some time with friends I've not seen in a couple of years due to Covid.  A huge storm came through and flattened all the sunshades on the camping field, and a couple of modern dome tents.   We were in a cabin, so just had to deal with no hydro for 30 hours.   It came back on the evening before we had to pack up and leave!

Now I'm finishing up my class on Spinning to Weave, which is next Saturday.   It's a 2 hour virtual class.  I find virtual classes so much more intense than in person classes, so being over prepared is taking up all my time right now.  I'm not normally nervous about this stuff, but this time, yup, just a little.   All this has taken up my time to weave, spin and sew, which I'd normally have, which is making me feel unproductive, even though I know it's just a different productivity.   I like seeing a finished project.

My son got me this lovely blueberry plant for Mother's Day.   We went to a different nursery and all the plants were so much nicer than elsewhere.   He also added not one, but two gooseberry bushes.   Both were red gooseberries, but different varieties.  One is early and the other is mid-season and supposed to bear heavy crops of berries.   We'll see in a couple of years when they really start to give fruit. 

 I'm looking forward to those gooseberries, but also the blueberries.   We planted a few blueberry bushes a couple of years ago, but mostly they haven't really done well.   They were very small to begin with though as we hadn't found this nursery yet.   I will need to protect them in the fall because one had a bit of bunny damage.  They ate the tender tips off the bushes.    



This is the first Allium of the season.  I do love the deep purple flowers that are so early.  This one popped up earlier than the rest.  It's also in an area where hubby stacks the wood he uses for making maple syrup, so it must be hardy.


 Only about 4 more weeks of hockey!  Yay!   Enough said about that, but really hockey games shouldn't run until almost July.  Just sayin'!


On the camping weekend, we had some natural dye classes.   The pink yarn is from a madder exhaust dye bath.   The blue is from an Indigo fructose vat.   I've never had the uneven dyeing from Indigo before.    I'm not sure why it happened.   Yarn was soaked before it went into the vat.  I did use several dips and having never done a chemical fructose vat, don't know if it had anything to do with colour stripping from it as the vat became exhausted.   We really used up the entire vat and there was no colour left.   The blue yarn is a skein of 430 yards of BFL superwash with nylon, which I spun up for sock yarn.



 

1 comment:

  1. I hope your blueberry bush thrives! Blueberries are such a treat. Nothing better for muffins and pancakes.

    Is your online class streaming? I've only done recorded courses, which is nice because I can pace myself. What I miss, however, is feedback, which you can't get with a recording.

    I've never seen purple allium flowers before. Very pretty. Mine are all white.

    ReplyDelete