Pages

June 12, 2022

Warmed over Chicken, 1896 recipe


This is a creamed chicken recipe from the Boston School of Cookery cookbook, by Fanny Farmer.  I used the recipe from the 1896 edition, but the one from the 1918 edition of the cookbook is exactly the same, and a bit easier to read because of the print quality.

It's a basic white sauce, with added diced chicken and mushrooms. I used ground chicken because I'd forgotten I'd used up the frozen leftover chicken from the last roast chicken.   The parsley garnish is because I had some which needed using up.  

The potato border was just mashed potatoes piped onto the dish, using a pastry bag and piping tip before adding the sauce.   I'd suggest using a larger piping tip though because any tiny lump got caught in mine.   It was an easy dish to make and it looked so pretty on the plate.

The chicken in sauce was quite delicious.  The white sauce worked perfectly with the chicken and was so easy to make.   Despite this being a dish of leftovers, I think with this presentation, one could easily serve this to company or someone you wanted to impress just a little bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment